Happy Monday, people of Tampa! Here’s everything worth knowing around town today.
First, today’s weather: Humid and partly cloudy throughout the day. High: 90 Low: 79.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
1. Floridians will pay not taxes on Back-To School supplies through August 9th. (Tampa Patch)
2. Floridians fear the impact of an expired federal eviction moratorium. The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that more than 1.4 million Floridians are not current on their rent and about 1/4 of them believe they are likely to be evicted within two months. (WTSP)
3. St. Pete’s unarmed responders have answered nearly 3,000 mental health calls that would’ve gone to the police. It is a new program. Works say St. Pete Police department has been extremely helpful and cooperative and officers have sent around 900 cases to the program that they thought would be better suited for their expertise. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
4. Florida state universities are staying on track for a return to normal “pre-pandemic” operations as the fall semester approaches, while Florida grapples with a surge in COVID-19 cases from the Delta variant. (WUSF)
5. Florida has hit a record of new Coronavirus cases according to the CDC and is now nearly 1/5 of all cases in the USA. The record comes as Governor Ron DeSantis signed an executive order prevents school districts from making face masks mandatory for students. (Tampa Patch)
Today in Tampa
- World’s Largest Golf Outing Tampa. (9:00 AM)
- Playschool Play Group at Community Roots Collective. (10:00 AM)
- Toddler Time with Story Time. (10:00 AM)
- Let’s Play in Spanish at The Kids Social Club. (3:00 PM)
- Epic Mondays with Feeding Tampa Bay. (5:00 PM)
- Yoga at the Park at Water Works Park. (6:00 PM)
- Latraia Savage at Ruby’s Elixir. (7:30 PM)
Tampa Patch Notebook
- Tampa Bay Times: “Florida reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19 today, the state’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemi…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “”Every step closer we get to a livable wage is beneficial,” said Christina Darling, a housing resource coordinator wh…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “The version of Tom Brady that Tampa Bay has been seeing is totally different from the buttoned up, cliché-spitting ve…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “We found 18 places to escape the heat in the air-condition but still have some fun. (Don’t forget a mask, health expe…” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Huge Opportunity – Steel Grating and Cast Iron Water Pipes (August 4)
- Taxes in Retirement Seminar at Hillsborough Community College (August 5)
- $349 Custom Website, Social Media, CRM, Text/Email Marketing (Details)
- Diamond Wedding Ring set (Details)
That’s it for today! I’ll see you soon. If you’re loving these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Email me at SouthTampa@Patch.com.