Morning, people of Tampa! Carlos Hernandez here with the Sunday edition of the Tampa Daily.
First, today’s weather: Humid and partly cloudy throughout the day. High: 91 Low: 80.
Here are the top stories today in Tampa:
1. A group of 40 local kids fighting cancer found respite Friday at the Florida Aquarium. It offered kids and their caretakers the opportunity to see and learn about marine life. The visit was organized by 1Voice Nation. (WTSP)
2. An estimated 31,459 (14.4 percent) of rental households were behind in paying rent in Hillsborough County as the federal eviction moratorium was allowed to expire by Congress this week. More than 6 million households nationwide are behind on rent. (Patch)
3. Pasco County announced plans on Friday to waive permit fees for Olympus customers through the end of the year. Many were left with unfinished pools after the company abruptly shut down. (WFLA)
4. A non-binding resolution could shift City of Tampa operations to 100 percent renewable energy by 2035 if passed next week. If approved, Tampa would join St. Petersburg and 180 cities across the country in a movement towards green energy. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
5. Face masks will be required inside all Hillsborough County facilities beginning Monday, August 2nd regardless of vaccination status. That includes include libraries, parks, and the Frederick B. Karl County Center. (ABC Action News)
Today in Tampa
- Woof & Waffles Brunch At World Of Beer. (9:00 AM)
- Tampa Bay Comic Convention. (9:00 AM)
- Sunday Yoga with Union Three Studio. (10:30 AM)
- 2021 Pool Party Sunday w/ Oliver Heldens at WTR. (12:00 PM)
- Family Axe Throwing at Highland Axe Throwing. (1:00 PM)
- PJ Library Scoops & Storytime – Hyde Park The Hyppo. (3:00 PM)
- Tampa Theater Summer Classic Movie Series. (3:00 PM)
- Florida Vegan Food Festival 2021. (3:00 PM)
- Planet Oat FREE Frozen Desserts Cart Tour Pop-Up. (9:00 PM)
Tampa Patch Notebook
- Tampa Bay Times: “The Lakeland-based grocery chain announced the policy this afternoon. Publix had previously allowed employees who wer…” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Times: “It may still be the middle of summer, but Halloween plans at Florida’s theme parks are already brewing, including sol…” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Huge Opportunity – Steel Grating and Cast Iron Water Pipes (August 4)
- Taxes in Retirement Seminar at Hillsborough Community College (August 5)
- $349 Custom Website, Social Media, CRM, Text/Email Marketing (Details)
- Diamond Wedding Ring set (Details)
Gigs & services:
- Want a 501 c 3 charity or internet Cafe? (Details)
- FundRaising (Details)
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Sunday! I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow with your next update. If you’re liking these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? I’m all ears. You can email me at SouthTampa@Patch.com.